I love avocado, and avocado toast is one of favorites.
I use my homemade crusty whole wheat bread and toast it lightly.
Creamy avocado on crusty toast is so good as it is, but I decided to go a bit further this time.
I got crunchy teriyaki tempeh strips and fruity slaw prepared for this one.
The slaw got usual suspects, such as cabbage and radish, but I also added fruit like mango and apple and herbs like cilantro and mint to this one, which makes the slaw a bit special and super refreshing.
Whenever I make these tempeh strips, I make extra as they freeze and thaw well.
These are so tasty and can be a great snack when you want something salty but not fried food.
crunchy teriyaki tempeh (makes extra)
– 1 package tempeh, sliced
– 1/4 cup soy sauce
– 1/4 cup maple syrup
– canola oil
– 1 cup julienned cabbage
– 6 radish, julienned
– 1/2 mango, julienned
– 1/2 apple, julienned
– chopped mint leaves
– chopped cilantro
– salt and pepper
– 1 tablespoon sugar
– 1 tablespoon white vinegar
– 1/2 tablespoon canola oil
2 slices crusty bread, toasted
1 avocado sliced
crushed red pepper1. Make crunchy teriyaki tempeh. Marinade tempeh slices in a mixture of soy sauce and maple syrup. Marinade for at least a few hours to overnight. Preheat an oven to 400F. Bake for about 10 to 15 minutes each both sides or until browned while occasionally baste with the marinade.
2. Make slaw. Combine all the ingredients. Mix well. I make it at the last minute as I like it taste fresh on my avocado toast.
3. Place avocado slices on toasts. Lightly mash with a fork. Sprinkle salt and crushed red pepper.
4. Place crunchy teriyaki tempeh and slaw on top.