Chili is one of my favorite dishes to make.
Especially since we stopped eating a lot of meat, I’ve become more creative and started experimenting with various ingredients.
What I’ve found is that you can’t really go wrong with chili, whatever ingredients you use!
This is no-meat Kabocha Tofu Chili.
In this chili along with Kabocha squash and mashed extra firm tofu, you’ll find black beans and onions (I was planning to add green peppers and I forgot).
This was so tasty!
I really liked the sweetness from the Kabocha balancing the spices.
Chili is such a great one-bowl meal.
Packed with nutrients and makes me stay full for a long time.
Kabocha Tofu Chili
3~4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 cups cubed Kabocha
1 package extra firm tofu, microwaved for about one minute and excess water was removed
2 cups water
2 bay leaves
1 can black beans, rinsed
1 6-oz can tomato paste
2~3 teaspoons chipotle sauce from a jar
salt and pepper
japapeno peppers from a jar, chopped
1. Sautee garlic and onion in oil.
2. Add Kabocha and continue to cook.
3. Add tofu and continue to cook. Salt and pepper.
4. Add water and bay leaves. Boil and then turn down to a low heat. Continue to cook until Kabocha is cooked through.
5. Add beans, tomato paste, cumin, chili powder, sugar, chipotle paste, salt, pepper, and hot sauce. Mix well.
6. Serve with chopped jalapeno peppers and cilantro.