When I want to make something vegan, there are some fabulous vegetables that I can use as a main ingredient for my dish.
Mushrooms and cauliflower are some of those, my go-to ingredients.
Particularly these meaty king mushrooms are wonderful, because of their size and the “meaty” texture.
They certainly look important and it’s hard to not see them.
I love making curry.
I think adding little bit of this, and a little bit of that, while tasting and adjusting the flavors, trying to get closer and closer to what I’m looking for is such a fun process for me.
Also I shoulg mention that I finally got to use the wheat berries that I bought a while ago.
I first tried it at a restaurant in Chicago while we were visiting the city, and I fell in love with the texture.
By actually cooking it, I found out that it takes a long time to cook them through, but I still love them.
King Mushroom and Cauliflower Red Curry
4 cloves garlic, chopped
ginger – about the same amount as ginger
1 onion, chopped
1 package king mushroom, cut into bite size pieces
1/3 cauliflower, cut into bite size pieces
2 bay leaves
red curry paste
1/3 cup sundried tomatoes
1 can coconut milk
salt and pepper
1 cup cooked wheat berries
chopped napa cabbage
1. Sautee garlic and ginger in oil.
2. Add onion and continue to cook.
3. Add mushrooms and cauliflower. Continue to sautee.
4. Add water and bay leaves. Boil and then turn down to low heat.
5. Add curry paste, sun dried tomatoes, vinegar, coconut milk, sugar, salt, and pepper.
6. Add cooked wheat berries.
7. Serve with chopped cilantro, scallion, and napa cabbage.