What’s more seasonal than this?!
Fall is known as a season for having a big appetite in Japan.
There are several food items that are appreciated particularly during this season, and mushroom and chestnut are a few of those fall foods.
These beautiful mushrooms were from the local Asian grocery store.
If you ask me they have the best freshest mushrooms in town!
I also found these beautiful roasted chestnuts at the Asian market.
The only thing unexpected about them was that they were not shelled.
Luckily there was already a slit made in the middle, so it was pretty easy to get the job done.
This soup is super creamy, yet vegan.
And did I say it’s delicious?!
Mushroom Chestnut Soup
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 onion, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
1.5 cups BunaPi mushrooms
1.5 cups Maitake mushrooms
1 cup roasted chestnuts
3~4 cups soy milk
2 bay leaves
salt and pepper
1. Sautee garlic, onion, and celery with oil. Tame them out.
2. Add some more oil if needed. Sautee mushrooms. Add chestnuts.
3. Bring the sauteed vegetables back into the pot.
4. Add soy milk and bay leaves. Boil and then turn down to low heat.
5. Add sugar, salt, and pepper.
6. Serve with paprika.
I’m on Instagram.