Okay, I definitely got my mojo back(lol)!
I got up early yesterday and I was ready to bake a chiffon cake.
It rose well, just the way I wanted, and it turned out to be a beautiful cake.
This special pan I bought in Japan forms a uniquely tall, slender shape, which gives a sophisticated look, I think.
This cake is so light, airy, and soft.
So different from any other cakes.
(Some people say it is just like angel food cake, but I disagree. The chiffon cake is much more moist and flavorful, in my opinion.)
I usually serve my chiffon cake with whipped cream, but this time I decided to go with slightly sweetened Greek yogurt.
Chiffon cake always tastes special probably because I don’t make it very often and it’s hard to find in the U.S.
Rum Mocha Chiffon Cake
70g egg yolks
35g sugar (for egg yolks)
35g canola oil
50g a mixture of strong coffee, milk(I used soy milk), rum
50g cake flour, sifted
50g all purpose flour, sifted
170g egg whites
45g sugar (for egg whites)
Preheat the oven to 350 F
1. Combine egg yolks and sugar in a bowl. Beat until the mixture is pale yellow.
2. Add oil and a mixture of coffee, milk, and rum. Combine well.
3. Add flour and mix.
4. In another bowl combine egg whites and sugar. Whip until stiff peaks form.
5. Take one third of the egg white mixture and add it to the flour mixture. Mix well. And then add the rest of the whipped egg whites to the flour mixture. Fold until mixture is smooth.
6. Spoon the batter into the pan. Gently shake the pan to get the air out.
7. Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes.
8. Flip and let it completely cool upside down.
I’m on Instagram.