As a blogger I should be better aware of upcoming events.
I’m not very good at it.
I didn’t realize that Cinco de Mayo was here until that very day!
It’s apparently past May 5, but I still wanted to post something Mexican to celebrate it.
So here it is. Tacos!
I kept these tacos vegan.
In these tacos you will find broccoli tempura, coleslaw, tomatoes, red onion, cilantro, tahini mayo, and hot sauce.
I bought these tortillas for the first time, and we loved them!
They do look and taste homemade.
I liked the slight chewiness.
Broccolini Tempura Tacos
tahini mayonnaise (tahini, Dijon mustard, horseradish, lemon juice, white vinegar, sugar, salt, water)
2 stalks broccolini
tempura batter (flour, cold water, baking powder)
canola oil, for deep-frying
coleslaw (cabbage, cauliflower, white vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper)
grape tomatoes, sliced
1 tablespoon chopped red onion
1. Make tahini mayonnaise. Mix all the ingredients with a hand blender until smooth.
2. Dip broccolini in tempura batter. Deep-fry in 350F oil.
3. Sprinkle salt over the broccolini tempura.
4. On warm tortillas place the broccolini tempura, coleslaw, tomato slices, red onion, and cilantro.
5. Serve with tahini mayo and hot sauce.
There was a local festival to celebrate Cinco de Mayo yesterday.
There were long lines everywhere in front of food vendors, but we managed to get these.
And a display of low-riders is always a big part of the festival.
I’m on Instagram.