Curried Cheddar Bread
We were invited to our friend couple’s house for dinner last weekend.
I wanted to bring homemade bread because the husband loves bread.
The problem was that I knew he likes bread, but I didn’t know what kind of bread he likes.
I was originally thinking of making curried cheddar bread, but then I got nervous thinking that he might not like the curry flavor.
So at the last minute I decided to make two different kinds, a curried bread with cheddar version for us, and a plain version with cheddar for them.
The one you see in this post is the curried version.
We actually ended up bringing the both loaves, and our friend liked the curried one, too.
I know I sometimes overthink, but if I make something for someone, I really want the person to like it. Wouldn’t you?
You don’t go skimpy with cheese for this bread.
Cubed cheese inside and shredded one on top.
Curried Cheddar Breadadapted from the Boule recipe in “Artisan Bread in Five Minutes A Day” – makes 2 loaves
1.5 cup water, warm
1 tablespoon dry yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1~2 teaspoon curry powder
3 ~ 3 1/4 cups all purpose flour
2 cups cubed cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1. Put warm water in a large container.
2. Add yeast, salt, and curry powder, and mix well.
3. Add flour and mix well with a wooden spoon.
4. Cover with a lid (not airtight) and let it rise in a container until it’s double in size, for about two hours.
5. Refrigerate overnight.
6. Form two balls. Roll out. Place cheese cubes. Roll them in and to form logs. Let them rise for 40 minutes.
7. Preheat oven with a pizza stone and a broiler pan inside to 450 F twenty minutes before baking.
8. Slash a line in the middle of the top with a sharp knife. Sprinkle shredded cheese and black pepper. Put the loaves on the pizza stone. Put a cup of hot water into the broiler pan.
9. Bake for 30 minutes.
When we saw the store staff wearing this apron at this cookie shop in Savannah GA, I wanted one for myself. I found it online and it just recently arrived.
The beautiful muted red color initially caught my eye, but now I also like the cotton and linen texture. It just feels nice and soft.
I’m on Instagram.