Spiced Sweet Potato Muffins (Vegan)
These are sweet but not overly sweet. So these are perfect not only for a snack but also for breakfast. I know flaxseed works well as an egg substitute, but how well it works amazes me every single time. These muffins are light, fluffy, and moist at the same time. I added walnuts and golden raisins, but you can skip them or of course use different types of dried fruit and nuts as well. I like baking at home because I know exactly what ingredients are in the baked goods I’m eating (and no chemicals).
Spiced Sweet Potato Muffins – Vegan (Makes 12 muffins)
3 tablespoons flaxseed (ground)
8 tablespoons water
mixture of 1 tablespoon coconut milk powder, 1/4 cup water, 1 teaspoon lemon juice*
3/4 cup canola oil
1 cup cooked and mashed sweet potato
3/4 cup cane sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
ground spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, ginger, allspice)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup walnuts
*you can probably use 1/4 cup of coconut milk or soy milk in place of coconut milk powder and water.
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line muffin pan with paper liners.
2. Combine flaxseed, water, coconut milk mixture, oil, sweet potato, sugar, and vanilla. Mix well.
3. Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices, and salt. Stir until just combined.
4. Mix in raisins and walnuts.
5. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.